ISOHUMULEX is an aqueous solution of purified potassium salts of isohumulones produced from a liquid CO2 concentrate extract of hops in an all aqueous process. The product is free of any solvent residues. The benefits of the use of ISOHUMULEX in comparison with traditional hopping are high flexibility in beer bitterness adjusting, improved foam and enhanced cling.
- ISOHUMULEX is available in 10% and 20% (+/- 0.5%) isohumulones-UV in aqueous solution.
- ISOHUMULEX can be used directly or can be diluted (for example 10 times). Soft or deionized water is needed. (Hard water may cause cloudiness). The pH of the soft water is adjusted to 10 to 11 using potassium hydroxide. The 1:9 dilution is prepared by slowly adding the weighed amount of ISOHUMULEX to the stirred soft pH10-11 water (T = 50°C).
- The recommended addition point is at any point between the end of fermentation and the final filtration. The recommended procedure, injection of the aqueous solution into the beer stream, avoids precipitation of the hop acids due to pH shok. A practical place for injection could be the prefilter outlet-line or the final filter inlet-line. The rate of addition by the proportioning pump should be direct proportional to the beer flow in the line. A dip tube in the middle of the beer line provides excellent dispersion. Injections of ISOHUMULEX should always be made with a positive pressure pumping system without using CO2 back pressure as it will lower the pH of the injection solution and adversely affect the ISOHUMULEX solubility.
- Use rates will vary depending on the desired bitterness. As the product is used very late in the process there are no significant losses while in traditional hopping the yield from alpha-acids to bitterness units in final beer turns only around 30%. Contact our technical team for calculation of the specific use rate for your application.
- High flexibility in beer bitterness adjusting.
- Improved foam and enhanced cling.
- We recommend storage in full, tightly sealed containers at room temperature 20-25°C.
- This product complies with FDA recommended specifications for food additives. Certificates of analysis are provided with each delivery.